Keen On Green In Owen Sound: 1) Earth Day!
Tread lightly on this Earth and keep your footprint small. And start in your own front yard. Owen Sound is my front yard (I live in an apartment, so it’s my whole estate!), and I’m pretty keen on ensuring that it remains not just livable, but desirable. I’ve come to really like this town—Grey County is gorgeous—and I’m excited to spread the word on some great local initiatives that are geared toward Keeping It Beautiful (to paraphrase the old license plates). In the next few days I’ll post about projects to clean up the Sydenham River running through town, and about a new blog dedicated to the little (and big things) we can all do to maintain and sustain the region in all its natural splendour.
But today, let’s talk about… Earth Day!
This year, Canadian Earth Day events take place on April 22nd. With Sharen Skelly of CARGOS (Citizens Against Radioactive Generators in Owen Sound) at the helm (and with some assistance from me), our local activities are also happening on that date, at the Owen Sound Legion (1450 2nd Avenue West) and on the Harbour. The awesomeness runs from noon to 4pm. There will be parking at the Legion. Admission is by donation.
There’s something for everyone!
- We shall begin with an Anishnabe Blessing of the Waters, uniting waters of the Saugeen and Sydenham Rivers along with those of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay;
- Performances get underway right after, including—shameless self-promotion!—some straight ravin’ from yours truly as DeMentos!
- The munchies will accommodate cultural and dietary requirements—nut and gluten free, vegetarian—(bring your dishes and utensils if you can);
- Community Living clients and kids from the Montessori school will enliven the place with decorations and posters;
- Tykes from the Y day care have made the table cloths;
- High school students from around the region will be demonstrating top-notch science fair projects on environmental themes;
- There will be a passing of an Earth Day flag from environmentalists in Michigan;
- We shall also be graced with an appearance by legendary environmentalist Ziggy Kleinau of CFRE (Citizens for Renewable Energy).
This is a non-partisan event. All local, municipal, provincial and federal politicians and candidates have been invited. We’re not even doing this under the auspices of Earth Day Canada–this is fully grass-roots and community-directed!